Welcome to the AP Biology Web site for Ms. Foglia's AP Biology course at Division Avenue High School, Levittown. It will be a busy year and I will use this Web site to help you to do the best you can. All paperwork, assigments, labs, and resources used or mentioned in class will be posted here.
AP BIOLOGY ANNOUNCEMENT:
Your overall assignment is to learn Chapter 5: Cell Structure and be ready for a quizzam (Quiz/Exam) on it when you get back. To help you we are giving you a whole lot of resources:
- Your Assignment in Detail: Produce a presentation of some sort that teaches other students the anatomy and function of ALL the cell organelles. You can use any online tool to create or post your presentation, like VoiceThread, Scrapblog, Prezi, create a movie (iMovie on Mac or MovieMaker for PC) and post it on Vimeo or YouTube, create a fake online community of organelles on FaceBook, etc. This can be creative. For example, one class I know did a pirate movie. You CANNOT produce a PPT presentation since that is the form your resources are in. We want you to learn a new tool. Here is an article on free movie making software.
- 00organelles2008.pdf: Worksheets that you received in class, but can download again if you need. Included in the worksheets is an illustration of an animal and a plant cell that you can fill out with the "Baby Bio" PPT listed below. Fill out the blank chart while you watch the AP PPTs and then add from textbook reading.
- 01CellOrganelles2009REGENTS.ppt: An introductory PPT that I use in "Baby Bio". It's a good place to start, but don't stop there! Fill out the worksheets with the animal and plant cell diagrams while watching this.
- 02Ch05organelles12009.ppt: The first of the AP lectures. It's about the organelles involved in making proteins. Fill out the blank chart worksheet while watching this.
- 03Ch05organelles22009.ppt: The second of the AP lectures. It's about the organelles involved in making energy. Fill out the blank chart worksheet while watching this.
- 04Ch05organelles32009.ppt: The third of the AP lectures. It's about the organelles involved in making new cells. Fill out the blank chart worksheet while watching this.
- I have also included links to PDF versions of the PPTs, in case you do not have a working copy of PowerPoint. But it is much better to watch the PPTs with the animations. Try to go to the Public Library (Click here for their hours) and use their computers
This is a calendar of your daily homework assignments
. I will post assigments at the beginning of the week but may modify the homework if classwork requires it. So check early and check often!
Most of my AP lectures are supported by Powerpoint presentations
. All of these are posted here as PowerPoint files. You can print them ahead of time or review afterwards. You may need a compression program to unzip some of them, like WinZip
(PC) or Stuffit Expander
(free for Mac), but most are in the original PPT format.
There will be many handouts to support classwork
. All the handouts that I have as digital files will be posted here for you to download.
Biology is best learned by doing! So we have many labs & activities to learn from
this year. All the labs & activities that I have as digital files will be posted here for you to download.
Books, Web sites, articles, journal reports, news updates, OH MY!
Everything I find to help you do your best in AP Biology this year.
This section of ExploreBiology.com is devoted to our collection of Blogs & Discussion groups
. Here you will find a variety of virtual journals and discussion groups.